[Ottawa-pm] virtualenv equivalent

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Fri Dec 23 18:44:16 PST 2011

On 23/12/11 Yanick Champoux said:

> 	If you want them truly segregated, perlbrew (App::perlbrew) is a
> great tool.

Must look into it then.

> 	But if you just want to have different groups of modules,
> local::lib should do what you want. Can you elaborate on how it
> "just ain't the same" than virtualenv (I never used virtualenv
> before, so I wouldn't know)?

I want a tool that allows me to essentially set up a new shell with a new
environment without any modification of my code. virtualenv permits a custom
interpreter with custom modules, and I'm hoping that I can find something
similar.

With my modules at ~/perl5, this does most of what I want...

msoulier at egor:/home/msoulier$ cat mojoenv.sh
ORIGPATH=$PATH
ORIGPS1=$PS1

deactivate() {
    export PATH=$ORIGPATH
    export PS1=$ORIGPS1
}

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/perl5/bin
export PERL5LIB=$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5
export PS1="(mojo)$PS1"

now I just need to easily install modules at each needed subdirectory, like
~/envs/client1 ~/envs/client2, etc...

Anyway, some cool stuff in Mojolicious::Lite. I just shipped a website in one
file. Not necessarily a good thing for large projects, but for small ones it's
kinda cool. Even base64-encoded images inline.

Mike