[Oslo-aktive] Fwd: Homebrew?

Salve J Nilsen sjn+oslo.pm at pvv.org
Fre 6. Mar 2015 05:47:59 PST

Heya, Andy

Welcome to Oslo.pm! :)

Andy Martin said:

> Good Morning Perlmongers,
>
> I joined after the talk last night, it was very inspiring.

Yeah, Damian's talks rock.

> I wonder if we can put installation instructions for Perl6 on the Oslo.pm
> homepage?

Hm... That would probably be a good idea, yes. We have a github account where
I've been putting together a replacement for Oslo.pm's old pages (who are
hosted by the Perl NOC somewhere in California).

Wanna have a look at it? (Anyone can, actually, give me a ping and I'll invite
anyone who wants to help).

   https://github.com/oslo-pm/oslo-pm.github.io
   git at github.com:oslo-pm/oslo-pm.github.io.git

I'm rather keen on getting away from our old setup (it's SVN-based, and it's a
pain to give new people access to it :-|)

> The installation instructions on rakudo.org were rather bad. They only have
> MSI installer files for windows, which I suppose will be useless for most of
> the Perl developers I know.

Not entirely shore who's managing that site. Pretty sure someone on #perl6 can
help though. But yes, there's room for improvement here, and having an
improved version of it on our site is a good idea. :)

> The best way to install Perl6 on mac is the command:
>
> brew install rakudo-star
>
> Apparently there are packages around for linux as well.
> Is there any way we can update the rakudo website to explain this too?

I'm a fan of tadzik's rakudobrew (https://github.com/tadzik/rakudobrew)

Pretty straightforward, but perhaps not optimized for "regular" deployment.
I also see that hoelzro has made a Docker image of Rakudo Star (see
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/hoelzro/rakudo-star/tags/manage/). Maybe
worth a look?

In any case, yes, there's room for improvement, and I'd love to help.

- Salve

--
#!/usr/bin/env perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print# Salve Joshua Nilsen