[Omaha.pm] [OT] Subversion assistance...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Feb 16 11:20:09 PST 2009

Thanks for the notes.  I've got one more question - probably much more basic
but I'm banging my head against it.

Regarding the trunk/tags/branch (TTB) directories that show up within the
subversion repository...  Should those be automatically created when I do
the "svnadmin create", or should I be creating them myself manually?

Here are the steps I've done but it seems like the mkdir steps shouldn't be
needed since TTB are so central to the functioning of subversion.

1: svnadmin create $NEWREPO
2: chown -R apache:apache $NEWREPO
3: TEMPDIR=`mktemp -d $NEWREPO.XX`
4: svn co file:///path/to/$NEWREPO/ $TEMPDIR
5: mkdir $TEMPDIR/{branches,tags,trunk}
6: svn add $TEMPDIR/{branches,tags,trunk}
7: svn ci -m "Initial repository setup" $TEMPDIR/
8: Create the entries in the Apache configuration file
(/etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf in RedHat/CentOS,
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/dav_svn.conf in Ubuntu/Debian):
<Location /path/to/$NEWREPO>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /srv/path/to/$NEWREPO
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "$NEWREPO Repository"
        AuthUserFile /srv/path/to/.htpasswd
        Require valid-user
</Location>
9: Restart apache

After doing all this, I am able to perform a "svn co
http://svnserver/path/to/$NEWREPO/trunk".

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal