[Omaha.pm] C++ questions (kidding)

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Sun Jul 2 21:11:43 PDT 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 11:06 PM, griffinheart at go.com wrote:

> I have a few questions I could use some help with:
>
> 1.  Is there a way to read in a file one character at a time (a text
> file) so I could store it into an array?

You want an array of single characters?  You can read it all into a
string and index individual characters with the substr() function.

> 2.  If not, is there any way to "pop" or "shift" a scalar to remove a
> character like you could to an array?

To remove the first character of a string:

$str = substr( $str, 1 );

or

> 3.  When you send an argument to a subroutine, is the argument
> actually "sent" or is it just referenced?  (This is important due to
> the size of variables I'm working with.)

Don't worry about the size of the variables.  Chances that it will
affect performance are small.

Andy

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance