[oak perl] Group Coordination

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Sat May 17 22:11:14 PDT 2008

hi michael,
thanks for being willing to do so much.

On Saturday 17 May 2008 20:00, you wrote:
> If no one else wants to jump up and do it (or if I'm wanted for
> additional/fallback/backup coverage), I could likely cover maintaining
> the web pages and mailinglist (I already do much of that for BALUG).
in my opinion the three main things that need to be addressed are:
meetings, web site and mailing list.
if i understand correctly, david fetter is willing to handle meetings.
and i gather, you are willing to handle the other two.

hm, i guess the group also needs someone to be the perl mongers contact.
i think the group also needs someone to take on the overall responsibility.
i recommend one person do both.

> I'm guestimating (based on some DNS information) that most all of the
> oakland.pm.org. resources exist on pm.org. system(s), and there are
> administrators already covering core stuff there ... but
> "Oakland Perl Mongers" needs person(s) to cover maintenance of
> the oakland.pm.org. web pages and list administration.
> Let us know if that's not the case.
the mailing list is on pm.org
and pm has very good administrative support for mailing lists.

i have the website on metaart.org currently.
however, i recommend a minimalist website similar to
      http://www.metaart.org/test/regroup/index.html
the details would, of course, be different.
for a real world model, see the Sonoma.pm website.
you may want the website to be on pm.org using webdav.
currently, we have a website on pm.org;
it redirects to our website.
in my experience [mostly not recent],
pm support is very good for websites too.

> As for book shipments (O'Reilly, etc.) - I could probably accept, or
> temporarily accept those, if need be - but would probably be better
> if we find someone who might be a bit better set up to receive
> such shipments (e.g. business or multi-person residence in Oakland,
> and/or someone that wouldn't mind shlepping the books from shipment
> receipt location to meeting location perhaps as frequently as every
> month; ... I receive the BUUG book shipments presently ... but it's
> fairly unlikely I'd be missing many BUUG meetings, as they're quite
> conveniently close to me).
nearly all of the books i've gotten from o'reilly recently
have been specifically requested.
typically they are for putting up banners
or for special meetings.
it's not necessary to request any books.

however, if you want many o'reilly books
what you say above is highly relevant.

> Just let me know.
i'm hopeful someone will step forward to take on the overall function,
especially now that two people have volunteered to take on
what i thought of as the three main functions.
i think that's the person who should let you know.

if you volunteer for that function,
then i don't think you need any approval.

george