[oak perl] Fwd: Oakland.pm - coordinator resignation

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Fri May 9 19:14:39 PDT 2008

[if you are concerned about the future of the group,
i suggest reading what follows
as well as other posts on this subject.]

hi michael,

i thought i sent this yesterday,
but i don't see it in the archives.
my bad.
maybe somehow i sent it to you off-list.
[this paragraph added 5/9]

== thanks
thank you for your concern.
you are welcome for the work i've done re the group.

== call
there was no general call for a new coordinator.
my resignation email [among other things]
sketches my process [in this matter].

== coordinator
in my opinion what is needed in a coordinator
is largely in the mind of the beholder.
i think the main areas of concern are:
* the website
* the mailing list
* the meetings
if someone is seriously interested in being coordinator,
i'd be glad to go into more detail with them.
the document i found most useful in starting the group
is by rick moen and is referenced on our home page.
i think perl mongers has something too
but don't recall what.
if interested, someone could ask them.

i think [but don't know] that perl mongers
requires a single point of contact.
i do think that splitting up the job is desireable,
but am inclined to think
it's still best to have someone in charge.
are you ready to take that on?   <<<
if so, i suggest you contact perl mongers.

== archives
i don't know how long
perl mongers will keep this list or its archive around.
for matters such as this [and for most matters re the group],
i suggest contacting perl mongers.
i do know that our group is no longer on the list
of active perl mongers groups.

== posting
i will post on this matter as seems appropriate to me.
that will probably be mostly answering
some questions [and concerns] posted to this list.
currently, at the top of my to do list [re this matter]
is modifying the website to reflect the current situation.

== contact
for most matters re the group,
i suggest contacting perl mongers.

for [questions or] specific requests, i suggest:
      support at pm.org
if that's the wrong place to make your request,
hopefully they'll know the right place.
in my experience, they are very helpful.

== thanks
you are welcome again.

skoal,
george

p.s if you feel strongly about keeping the archives available,
i guess you could:
* capture the list and make the archives available yourself
   [assuming the archives are still accessible]
* or arrange with perl mongers to keep the archives available
  [much better given your concern as i understand it]

p.p.s. i'd review [and proof] this further,
but time may be important in this matter.