[oak perl] Interesting Article on PerlBuzz

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Wed May 7 07:39:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 05:13:51AM -0700, Jon Seidel CMC wrote:
> And buried away in a linked-to page I found this very interesting site
>      http://lui.arbingersys.com/index.html
>
> I think Perl is suffering from (among other things):

What makes you think Perl is suffering at all?  If you've got some
Perl talent and a decent track record, you can pull down a cushy
six-figure income just about anywhere.

> 1) Perl 6 still isn't here

It's a wonderful language, but it's totally, essentially different
from Perl 5.

> 2) "Object-oriented" gets lots of traction

OO code is a tool, not a goal, and plenty of people realize this.  OO
design is a whole different thing, but few people even attempt it.

> 3) "New" gets lots of traction

...and loses it when footgun-of-the-week *cough*rails*cough* turns out
to be causing too many injuries and/or there's a new FOTW.

> 4) We've moved beyond "internet glue"

We may *never* move "beyond internet glue."  We get more and more of
it as "the internet" has more and more things to glue together.

> 5) It's often viewed as 'obfuscated'

That's a problem that good coding standards, starting with making
strict and warnings mandatory, will eventually fix.  That some people
have false perceptions has never been a show-stopper for any human
endeavor.

Cheers,
David.
--