[oak perl] Fwd: Contact information and Job description

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Sun May 29 16:04:24 PDT 2005

This is a message from earlier
during the period when my posts were being rejected.

Subject: Fwd: Contact information and Job description
Date: Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:06 am
From: George Woolley <george at metaart.org>
To: oakland at pm.org

Hm, job boards?
Anyway, close enough.

Contact the sender (not me) if interested.

Subject: Contact information and Job description
Date: Wednesday 25 May 2005 9:51 am
From: Robert Rutchena <rrutchena at Technisource.com>

George,

Thanks for your time on the phone this morning.  I would appreciate it if
you could post this position on your job boards.  This is a permanent
position in Sunnyvale, CA.

Take care,
Robert

Robert Rutchena
Technical Recruiter

Technisource
350 N.Wiget Lane, Suite 250
Walnut Creek, CA 94598
Phone:  925-942-5414
800-346-5948 ext.114
Fax:  925-946-9247
Email:  rrutchena at technisource.com

Website:  www.technisource.com

Job Description:

Software Developer/ Support Engineer

The company:

Client  is  a leading global provider of SMS infrastructure services to the
content  and  applications  industry.  We  make  the  task  of  sending and
receiving SMS simple, reliable and cost effective, freeing our clients from
the  commercial  and  technical complexities that can cost so much time and
effort.  Companies  use  our standard and premium-rate outbound and inbound
services  to provide information, entertainment and communications services
to consumers or enterprise staff.

Client  is  a  fast  pace,  rapidly growing company with offices in the UK,
mainland  Europe and the USA. Future plans include further expansion across
Europe and the Middle East.

Reporting to: Software Engineering Manager. Depending on projects, you will
also report to different project managers.

The Role:

The  Software Developer will form part of a ~10 person dynamic and creative
software  engineering team located in London, Stockholm and California. The
main  team  is  in  Stockholm  and  London.  Half  of the time the software
development  will  be focused on developing software to support integration
towards  American  mobile  Operators.  The  other  half  will be focused on
support  towards  the  Californian  organization and the Software Developer
will become the team’s US support hub.

Principal responsibilities will include:

·     Verify and work against functional requirement specifications.
·     Design technical solutions that match the requirements.
·     Write technical specifications that meet the requirements and
describe the technical solutions.
·     Develop structured, robust and well-documented software according to
our standards.
·     Assure software quality by developing and executing test plans
·     Contribute to the building and maintenance of the support processes
·     Handle and resolve incoming support requests on our software
·     Make decisions about how to prioritize and relay incoming support
requests to the rest of the team
·     Support and maintain legacy Perl code (this might require learning
Perl)

Software focus:

·     Thread programming
·     Networking / socket programming
·     Implementation of networking protocols
·     Programming against relational databases

The  development  is  focused  on  the Client SMS gateway service platform,
which  is hosted within the company organization. The platform is developed
in-house  by  the  software engineering team and there is a constant demand
for  new  modules  to  support  new products and features. The evolutionary
nature  of  the  platform requires investigation and utilization of new and
interesting  software technologies, new messaging technologies such as MMS,
and new Java technologies such as the java.nio package, JMX, JMS etc.

Project work - The working structure of the department is project based and
your role within those projects will vary accordingly. You will be expected
to  take a high level of responsibility throughout the projects, which will
include  writing  specifications, creating architectures and developing and
testing your applications.

Technologies  -  Java,  HTML,  JSP,  XML,  SQL, Perl, Postgresql-databases,
MySQL-databases and Oracle-databases.

Travel  - The position will include some travel and occasionally you may be
requested to spend up to a month at a time overseas.

Required skills:
·     Excellent knowledge of Java development
·     Excellent knowledge of network programming
·     Working knowledge of JSP development
·     Working knowledge of SQL
·     Basic knowledge of HTML
·     Good knowledge of writing technical specifications and design
documents
·     Strong motivation and an ability to manage projects with a commitment
to quality
·     Ability to work under pressure and flexible to working additional
hours where working commitments dictate
·     Well structured with ability to work in line with our software
development processes
·     Proven experience in support processes and software support in
general
·     Keen interest in technology and Software development
·     Good communication skills (written and verbal)
·     Fluent in English

Desired skills (not essential):
·     Knowledge of Perl development
·     Good knowledge of database tuning
·     Knowledge about WebLogic and/or JBOSS

Required Experience:
·     3-5 years experience working as a Java developer
·     3 years experience working with SQL
·     3 years experience of writing technical specifications
·     2 years working with software support

Desired Experience (not essential):
·     3-5 years experience working as a Perl developer
·     Experience within telecommunications in general and SMS-techniques in
particular is an advantage

Education
·     Masters or Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related subject

Salary: $70k - $90k

Location: Sunnyvale California