[oak perl] Mail Annoyance

Benjamin Elijah Griffin oaklandpm at eli.users.panix.com
Mon May 16 12:08:43 PDT 2005

I wrote to George (directly):

> Recently I've been super annoyed that everything to the oakland at pm.org
> list comes through base64 encoded. Someone changed something somewhere,
> I suspect the mailing list software now wants to encode everything
> in UTF-8 (it provides a charset="utf-8" header) even when the contents
> are plain ASCII. And then it gets anal about encoding, and converts
> the bodies to base64.

He replied, asking me:
: Do you know approximately
: when you began experiencing
: the change you describe in the first sentence?

May 10th I received "[oak perl] Yet Another Perl Conference final
details" (message-ID: <20050511033524.4A975177F8 at x6.develooper.com>)
which was not UTF-8 and was not base64 encoded.

May 11th I received "Re: [oak perl] Hi from Robert Kuropkat"
(message-ID: <200505111128.18817.george at metaart.org>) which was UTF-8
and base64 encoded. All messages since then have been such.

Both have "X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.6rc3" headers, so I don't think
that's what changed, Both messages come in to qmail on
x1.develooper.com, then get handed off to Postfix on x6.develooper.com
according to the Received headers. I can't tell the versions of
either of those from the headers, so if one changed I wouldn't know it.

George also asks the list in general:
: The earliest occurrence
: I've found of the missing end of lines
: is May 9th.
:
: Anyone, seen the problem before that?

FYI: my 'May 10th' last plain message came in several minutes before
midnight Eastern time. Pacific time it would be early on the 11th. (My
panix.com account is hosted in New York.)

Elijah