[oak perl] Perl application frameworks...?

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Sun Dec 11 18:47:08 PST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:22:13AM -0800, Jon Seidel, CMC wrote:
> Folks...
>
> Has anyone had some (successful) experience using one of the perl
> application framework packages and/or do you recommend one?

> I know of:
>     Maypole (Simon Cozens)
>     Catalyst

I kinda like Template Toolkit http://www.template-toolkit.org/ on
which both of those are based.  It has enough shortcuts for things I
find repetitive but doesn't make too many assumptions about what I'll
be doing and how.

> I tried unsuccessfully to use Maypole and was continually confounded
> by poor/incorrect documentation, missing pieces from the tarball,
> etc.  Would have loved to have been able to get it up and running,
> but I don't think it's ready for prime time (unless you're a perl
> wizard :)
>
> I looked briefly at Catalyst, and have started working on it, but
> also ran into problems (but I do like the fact that they have
> operational scripts that set up the directory structure and do lots
> of housekeeping for you...  similar to Ruby on Rails).

I can't tell you much about Catalyst or other "frameworks," as I
haven't found one that applies to the kind of work I do: apps that are
really new and different from others.  Especially with RoR, there is a
tendency to make trivial stuff of which better ones are available on
freshmeat (Yet Another Blog, e.g.) quick and easy to write the first
version of.

It's far from obvious to me what good they do when you're doing
something that would require more effort than a freshmeat search in
the 1st place.  Counter-examples are always welcome :)

> Any input/suggestions would be most appreciated.  I'm starting here
> with the local group first and then will try PerlMongers.

You might try SF perl mongers, too :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778