[oak perl] Help with Perl on Windows

Jon Seidel, CMC jseidel at edpci.com
Mon Oct 25 12:54:45 CDT 2004

thanks, Belden... Great responses!

re: ppm; here's what I get from one machine (the one with MKS Toolkit
installed; that's why there are lots of cursor droppings at the start of
each line. I love that ActiveState is a "devision" of Sophos... it's only
a short step to deviation... :)

anyway, note that there are only a very few Class:DBI items there, and not
the base.

$ ppm
PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState Corp. All Rights Reserved.
ActiveState is a devision of Sophos.

Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline library.

Type 'help' to get started.

←[4;mppm> ←[1minstall Class::DBI
←[0mSearching for 'Class::DBI' returned multiple results. Using
'search' instead
Searching in Active Repositories
  1. Class-DBI-Extension   [0.01]
  2. Class-DBI-Replication [0.01]
  3. Geo-Walkabout         [0.01] An open path representing the shape of a
line
←[4;mppm> ←[1m
←[0m←[4;mppm> ←[1m

Repositories I am using...the first two are the ones recommended by
ActiveState on their website.

←[0m←[4;mppm> ←[1mrep
←[0mRepositories:
[1] NewActiveState
[2] DefaultActiveState
[3] JanK
[4] Roth
[5] UWinnipeg
[6] Bohnet
[ ] ActiveState Package Repository
[ ] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[ ] UWinnipeg56
[ ] UWinnipeg58
←[4;mppm> ←[1mrep des 1
←[0mDescribing Active Repository 1:
    Name: NewActiveState
Location:
http://ppm-ia.ActiveState.com/PPM/ppmserver.plex?urn:/PPM/Server/SQL
    Type: PPMServer 3.0
←[4;mppm> ←[1mrep des 2
←[0mDescribing Active Repository 2:
    Name: DefaultActiveState
Location: http://www.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.plex?urn:/PPMServer
    Type: PPMServer 2.0
←[4;mppm> ←[1m

The same results happen on another machine which does not have MKS
installed, except that the display is cleaner.

Do you have the same repositories defined as I do?

Thanks again for all your help. I'll get to your other responses once I
have a handle on getting the modules I want.

...jon

> On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 15:49, Jon Seidel, CMC wrote:
>> Couple of questions regarding Perl on Windows (I know, I know... :)
>>
>> I've been using ActiveState for some time and it's OK. However, since
>> they
>> were purchased, I am wondering about their commitment to the product.
>>

> I hadn't heard this news... must check it out later! :)
>
>> So - Question #1: does anyone know of any other ports to Windows and how
>> do
>> they compare to ActiveState? I'd like to find a port where I can just
>> use
>> the CPAN module to install modules (see Question #3 below).
>>

> cygwin has a perl binary. From http://www.cygwin.com :
>
>    Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of
>    two parts:
>       * A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation
>         layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.
>       * A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.
>
> and also google around for 'cygperl'.
>
> I've used cygperl + CPAN to install modules. IIRC it was mostly
> painless, but I may be blocking some trauma :)
>
>> Question #2: I've been using the free distribution (I'm on perl 5.8),
>> but
>> I'm wondering if anyone knows if the support from ActiveState improves
>> if
>> you purchase the professional tools (such as Komodo and the Perl Dev
>> Kit)?
>> I'd be willing to buy it for better support and fixes to my problems.
>> (The
>> Visual Perl doesn't interest me in the least).
>>

> I don't have any experience with the perl dev kit. I've got a Personal
> license for the Komodo IDE which I like quite a bit. The remote
> graphical debugger paid for the (then-)$30 license the first time I
> needed it.
>
> I don't do much with the regex debugger in Komodo. :( I should. :)
>
>> Question #3: I can't get the ActiveState PPM to install modules
>> successfully. I see the modules are on the ActiveState website (e.g.,
>> Test::More, Class::DBI), but neither search nor install 'see' them. I've
>> updated the package libraries to use the latest identified on the
>> ActiveState site, but that doesn't help.
>>

> What exactly do you mean here?
>
> I suspect that you mean: when you visit the activestate website in
> your web browser (outbound traffic to port 80), you can see that the
> modules you want to install are available. But when you attempt to
> use ppm to install those modules (outbound traffic on port 80, I
> think?), ppm fails to fetch the software.
>
> If this is what you mean, then it sounds like you've got a proxying
> problem. Are you using an http proxy? http://tinyurl.com/6x8em has
> some info on using ppm behind a proxy.
>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Send specific errors. I just tried to install Class::DBI using ppm
> and managed it without too much hardship:
>
> ppm > install Class::DBI
> [...]

      Connecting Business and Technology

Jon Seidel, CMC                   +1-510-530-6314
EDP Consulting, Inc.                www.edpci.com

CMC (Certified Management Consultant) is a certification mark awarded by
the Institute of Management Consultants USA and represents evidence of the
highest standards of consulting and adherence to the ethical canons of the
profession. Less than 1% of all consultants have achieved this level of
performance. See www.imcusa.org/hireacmc.acgi.