[oak perl] Re: Oakland subscription notification > Perl 6

Steve Fink sfink at reactrix.com
Fri Oct 8 18:50:14 CDT 2004

George Woolley wrote:
> Kester,
> Have you had a chance to look at
> the Essentials book on Perl 6 and Parrot
> or to play with Parrot?
>
> Would you like for us to have a meeting
> with Perl 6 as the theme?
> Would you be able to speak briefly*
> on some aspect of Perl 6?
> (* briefly = say 2-30 minutes)
> Hey, longer is fine too,
> but the longer it is, the more important it is
> for me to know in advance roughly how long.
>
> Hm, maybe Steve Fink could talk about Perl 6 rules,
> or the current status of Perl 6 or something.
>
> Steve,
> Would you be willing to speak on something Perl 6 related?
> You determine the subject, length, etc.
> George

Sure, I can talk about something. I guess talking about rules would make
sense; they're probably the thing I'm most looking forward to. I'll try
to stick to how you use them instead of how they're implemented,
especially since I haven't seen any more of the new implementation than
anyone else. :-)

Anyone want to talk about Perl6's roles? I keep hearing about them, but
have never figured out exactly what they are nor how they behave. It'd
be cool if someone did an hour or three of research into them and
reported on them at the meeting. (Easy for me to suggest, since I'm not
volunteering!)

Or if anyone checked out any of the Perl6:: modules, I'd be interested
in hearing about your experiences.