[oak perl] Request for testers of my module Chart::Scientific

Kester Allen kester at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 23:01:49 CST 2004

Hi All--

As I mentioned at the meeting this week, I've written a data-plotting
module called Chart::Scientific.  It's pretty easy to use (I think),
and I'd like to beseech the list to try installing it, run through a
few of the examples in the POD documentation, and get back to me.

I'd be particularly interested in reports of any installation problems
you had (you'll need the pgplot5 library installed, Debian-derived
linux users can get this library in a prepackaged .deb at
http://packages.debian.org/pgplot5.  Other linux users can get it at
the PGPLOT homepage http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/#support.
 Truly ambitious Windows users can attempt to install the library from
the instructions posted at
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/#support), and any features
you think would improve the module.

Since it's on cpan, you can just type: "cpan PGPLOT", then "cpan
Chart::Scientific" (this is a bug, in the next version, the PGPLPOT.pm
perl module will be installed automatically) at a command prompt, and
it should install it.

A simple script like:
    use Chart::Scientific;

    my @height = ( 1.81, 1.62, 1.33, 1.90, 1.73 );
    my @weight = ( 77.3, 60.1, 52.3, 85.2, 80.1 );

    my $plt = Chart::Scientific->new (
                  x_data => \@height,
                  y_data => [ \@weight  ],
              );
    $plt->plot ();

will give you a plot; adding "device => 'myplot.ps/cps'" to the
constructor call will give you a postscript file named myplot.ps.

Anyhow, please give Chart::Scientific a look if you have a minute, and
please let me know how it went!

Thanks,

Kester