[oak perl] "The Irony of Extreme Programming"?

Robert Kuropkat robert-kuropkat at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 23:30:36 CDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:46:31 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:02:00PM -0700, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
>
>> I don't think there is **too** much smoking in the sense I think
>> they have a legitement complaint.
>
>It's not the XP critics that are smoking crack; it's the XP advocates.
>
>> Software development is not able to move fast enough and expecting
>> people to know what they want all up front is truly a pipe dream.
>
>So it is.  That is why you agree upon a change order process up front.
>When a change order comes in, the people involved work together to
>assess the affects on the schedule (yes, a schedule!) and the budget
>(what?  people don't have infinite, or even indefinite amounts of
>money to spend?!?), and then both parties sign off on said change
>order, which includes the revised schedule and budget.
>

>From what I've read so far, XP does not disagree with this.  In fact, it seems to me they are very much in
agreement with this.  But having a process, agreed upon or not does not necessarily make it fast or
good.  I've seen plenty of "processes" that do nothing more than slow things down and stonewall
changes in general.  Yet everyone is in agreement on the "process" to make, approve, schedule and
even budget changes...

>> Development methodologies do in fact need to be more agile.
>
>That's great, but XP isn't agile.  It's fragile and doesn't deliver.

So are we speaking from experience?  If so, I'd like to hear more...