[oak perl] Has anyone used GD before?

Craig McLaughlin cpm at bitbucket.com
Fri Aug 29 13:03:45 CDT 2003

Sorry for the current delay after my initial prompt response. :)

I could dredge up some examples this weekend; the use of GD is internal
to projects and not "standalone," but I could make up some sample
scripts.

My initial driving reason to start using GD was, surprisingly enough,
font-related.  I wanted a quick and easy way to see the same text
represented in a large (200+) number of TrueType fonts.  As GD supports
TTF, it was pretty simple to get it to do the job.

I haven't done a great deal of work where photo-quality was an issue,
but I have seen GD used for such things (gallery comes to mind), and
have never noticed quality degredation.  YMMV, as image quality is a
subjective thing, I find. :)

The largest barrier / pitfall I had was in placement and alignment of
objects (text, images, etc) within the image.  For text I was very happy
to find GD::Text::Align.  But other items required calculations of
radians, use of Pi, etc... quite a pain in the head.

--Craig