[oak perl] Brother Groups

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Fri Nov 29 22:51:44 CST 2002

Mike,
I don't think you are dense at all.
I also think it makes sense to talk
about Brother Groups and Ambassadors together, as you do.

OK, let me put forward a couple of possibly relevant thoughts
and then I'll respond to your specific concerns
as best I can.

Possibly Relevant Thoughts:
I think, but am not sure,
that you are just a bit uncomfortable with what, in my experience, is
the norm in the early stages of a creation.

One of the things I love is Perl.
Another is connecting with people.
Connecting with people in relation to Perl is megakool.
(for me, that is)
When there is such a convergence,
I've noticed that surprising and enjoyable things often happen.
I like that.
---
The Purpose of Ambassadors, ...
What I mean by a purpose is a direction.
Something which by it's nature cannot be fulfilled.
Something from which goals are generated.
What I think we need most to connect with the purpose
of these things is concrete shared experiences
relating to them.
I have some experiences that have not been fully communicated.
We need more.

But I suspect you are using purpose in some other way.
If you say what you mean by purpose
I'll respond to that, as best I can.
---
What Do Other Groups Do?:
I don't know of other groups that are doing this.
Hm, but perhaps we're all already ambassadors as you suggest:
"It seems to me the fact that we have joined Oakland.pm sort of
automatically makes us all ambassadors".
Perhaps my intent here is in part to get rid of the "sort of".
---
What Specifically Does It Entail?:
I would guess that would vary from ambassador to ambassador.
For you, perhaps, a good starting point would be your sense of
what you feel "makes us all ambassadors".
I would prefer, especially at this stage, to leave things very open.
We are all different and we are learning.

An example:
I have Central America and New Zealand.
All together there are only 3 groups.
Two of those groups are in the formative stages.
I've been able to give some support to the group leaders of both groups
relating to web pages, mailing lists, web design and even CGIs.
I learned a lot in the process in different areas
on subjects ranging from CGIs to geography.
The third group gives signs of being active,
but so far I'm not in contact with them.
But the process of trying is interesting.

Concluding Thought:
I suggest focusing on what's enjoyable.

Best wishes,
George