[HRPM] Free Beginning Perl Class Announcement

Jeff Duffy jduffy at semcor.com
Wed Mar 29 16:55:49 CST 2000

Free Introductory Course in Perl

 Representing the Hampton Roads Perl Mongers (HRPM), Jeff Duffy and
Christopher Hicks will be offering a introductory course in the Perl
programming language for all who are interested. The class will form as
soon as we receive confirmation from at least ten (10) people committing
to attend the lessons. No prior programming experience is necessary,
just an interest in learning Perl.

 The course will be available to all who wish to come, and will be free
of charge. Classes will be scheduled every Saturday; the time will be
posted to interested respondents in the near future. Classes will be
held at the ACS Services office off of Greenbrier Parkway in Chesapeake
(with our gratitude to ACS Services, Inc. for providing the space).
Directions to the office are available on the HRPM website
(http://norfolk.pm.org).

 It is not required but HIGHLY recommended that interested parties
purchase the book 'Learning Perl' by Randall L. Shwartz and Tom
Christiansen, published by O'Reilly and associates. The book is easily
identified by the llama on the cover, and can be found at the local
Barnes and Noble and other bookstores. HRPM receives a 20% discount from
O'Reilly, and we are willing to do a one-time bulk order of the book at
discount prior to the first class date if there is enough interest. This
book will be the text used for a good deal of the course material.

 Topics covered in the course will include:

 - An introduction to Perl and basic programming concepts.
 - Perl data types and basic control structures.
 - Input/Output and functions.
 - Using files and file formats.
 - CGI and web programming with Perl.
 - Using Perl with databases.

 and more.

 Contact Jeff Duffy at <jduffy at semcor.com> if you're interested or have
any questions.

Thanks to the Tidewater Unix User's Group (http://www.twuug.org) for the
use of their mailing list for this announcement.
--
Jeffrey A. Duffy
Principal Engineer
jduffy at semcor.com