[Neworleans-pm] Windows & .Net

David B. John djohn at archdiocese-no.org
Mon Jun 11 05:23:51 PDT 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 5:37 PM, John Souvestre wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I’d like to post a question.
>
> The other day I wanted to call a .Net method from Perl (Strawberry Perl on Windows 7).  I didn’t see an easy way.  I understand that Active State has out an interface but it is part of their package.
>
> I have used the Win32 and Win32::API modules for various misc things.  I understand that Win32::OLE does well for OLE interfacing.  I’m surprised that there isn’t a generic .Net module too.
>
> Am I silly to be using Strawberry instead of Active State?  About half of what I do is for Windows (more, recently) and the other half for Linux.  I prefer the command line interface as I have an editor I’m comfortable with.
>
> I did try Active State a few years ago when I was just starting with Perl.  I don’t believe that you could use CPAN modules then, only theirs.  But I understand that they have opened that up.
>
> John

Never used strawberry perl before.  Have used Active State, it's not that bad.  When I did they used ppm for modules.  I never had a problem finding the packages I needed.  As much as it pains me to say it, what about wrapping the .net method in a helper vb script and then calling that from perl with system, as Joey suggested, or backticks, etc?

DJ