[Neworleans-pm] higher order perl

James Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Oct 22 14:38:36 PDT 2005

> Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:28:12 -0500
> From: "Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd at mailcan.com>
> Subject: [Neworleans-pm] higher order perl
> To: NewOrleans-pm at mail.pm.org
>
> I just got this book by Markus Jason Dominus in, and it looks very
> interesting.

s/Markus/Mark/;

> I am hoping to get the same amount of enlightenment that
> Damian Conway's "Object Oriented Perl" gave me.  HOP focuses on the
> functional programming aspect of Perl, and as the introduction says,
> "...Perl is much better at being Perl than it is at being a slow
> version
> at C" - which is how most people structure their Perl programs,
> especially if you are traditionally a C programmer.

I'll be interested in your reactions to it.  I followed its development
on a mailing list which MJD set up and went to a book-signing party he
had for it in Philadelphia in June.  We had a roundtable discussion on
it at our Perl Seminar NY meeting in May.  It's certainly a work of
erudition, but I wonder whether it will have as big an impact on the
way people actually write Perl as "OOP" did -- or as I suspect Damian's
new book will.

Anyhow, it's good to see this list picking up again!

jimk