[Mpls-pm] hello

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Mon Oct 20 11:14:45 PDT 2008

Dana Reed wrote:

> Also, as an introduction I work in the 3M Corporate Analytical Lab
> doing mass spectrometry.  Currently I'm using Perl on Win32 to try
> and interface to a home-built instrument using a combination of
> software pipes, parallel and serial communications.

What, you forsook FORTRAN? ;)

> I'm using ActivePerl 5.8.8 and the Win32::Pipe, Win32::GUI,
 > Win32::Process, Device::ParallelPort modules.

Have you looked at Strawberry Perl[0]? It's a build of Perl that works
on Windows without all of ActiveState's PPM tomfoolery, etc. I haven't
used it myself, but I do tend to chafe that the hoops I have to jump
through to get the CPAN modules I want. I assume the Win32:: modules
will Just Work with it too, but I can't say for sure.

Not that ActivePerl is bad, per se, or that Strawberry Perl will make
your life any better :)

> My background in
> Perl before this, was mostly just messing around with using it
> to calculate and predict elemental compositions from the molecular
> weight.  I spent most of my non-mass spectrometry time at the U
> using Filemaker Pro to build a lab management and kiosk system for
> the department of chemistry.

Well, as a fellow chemist[1] and Perlmonger, welcome!

[0] <http://strawberryperl.com/>
[1] Although I never practiced chemistry professionally - I came to my
senses before graduating ;)