[Mpls-pm] Perl Socket programming problem with Windows

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Thu Aug 18 10:56:18 PDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 Paul.Krcma at wellsfargo.com wrote:

> You know what? I gave up on user group email lists along time ago,
> because of replies like your's.

Why? So Mark's reply wasn't overly helpful. Troy chipped in later with
more concrete help (Net::Server and other CPAN goodness being excellent
suggestions for saving youself the hassle of reinventing the wheel).

> And here I was, thinking this email group would be professional.

"Professional" as in "sending a rather stroppy response to a post on a
publicly archived mailing list using your corporate email address
professional"?

But aside from that, "Minneapolis Perl Mongers is a user group for anyone
interested in the Perl programming language"[0]. No-one ever said anything
about professional. You'll get some helpful responses, and some less
helpful ones. When asking for free help, you run the risk of getting what
you paid for. Frustrating, I know, especially when mired in complex
debugging.

You did post a lot of code, which is rather too much to take in without a
lot of effort. Perhaps if you cut it down to a smaller test case it might
be easier for people to grasp and debug. Help us to help you, etc.

> I just subscribed to this group. It's time to unsubscribe.

Perhaps. You came, you asked a question, you got an answer you didn't
like. Feel free to throw your toys out of your stroller. Or you could stay
and contribute and help make the group better. Everyone has their off
days, and it would be a shame to lose a local perlmonger because of one
post.

We reserve the right to reference Monty Python sometimes though.

Ian

[0] <http://minneapolis.pm.org/>

-

The soul would have no rainbows if the eyes held no tears.

Ian Malpass
<ian at indecorous.com>