[Mpls-pm] Perl Socket programming problem with Windows

Troy E. Hove Tausend ttausend at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 20:44:27 PDT 2005

  I agree, you should have gotten a better worded response, but I suspect part
of the reason you got the response you did is precisely because most of the
people on this list are serious Perl programmers who know the language,
modules and reference documentation very well and I'm afraid that it is quite
apparent from your program sample that you have a lot to learn yet about
programming in Perl.

  You are on the right track trying to use non-blocking recv(), but honestly
this is the kind of thing were there is hundreds of cases of examples and
working modules that can do this for you and have already addressed all the
icky details that you probably haven't even really though about yet.

  You might try using perldoc to read perlipc as suggested by the first
response.  I'd also recommend looking in the Perl CookBook, Learning Perl and
Programming Perl books from O'Reilly.

  You also may want to look at Perl modules like Net::Server (available from
CPAN : http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Net+Server&mode=all ) which will
provide you with a working Networking Server leaving you free to focus on
doing what you really need to do which is work out your protocol.

  Next time you post a question to a User Group list, you might try reading
the following first and following the advice given, it will help you get the
answer you want.  How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
(http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

   Good luck with your program.