[mplspm]: [Perl Jobs] Perl/Pro*C Developer (onsite), United States, MN, Minneapolis (fwd)

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Jan 9 15:04:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Ken Williams wrote:

> $30/hr is considerably less than $60k/yr.  Someone working hourly wages
> will need to pay for their own health benefits and taxes, so that the
> take-home pay is much much lower.  I agree with Bruce, this pay of
> $30-$35/hr seems quite low.

They only need to pay all that if they're a 1099 employee (a
subcontractor).  If they're a W-2 employee of the contracting company,
they don't need to pay all their taxes and most contracting companies
offer benefits.  In which case the pay is low, but not horribly so.  For a
1099 job, it sucks.  For a W-2 job, it only sorta sucks.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun