[mplspm]: [Perl Jobs] Perl/Pro*C Developer (onsite), United States, MN, Minneapolis (fwd)

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Jan 9 15:19:53 CST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Bruce Albrecht wrote:

> Yes, I was just figuring gross income.  $30/hr is probably closer to a
> $45k-$50k FTE position.  It was my impression that my contractor
> friends were making at least $50-60/hr in 2000 and early 2001, so I
> was wondering if the going rate had really dropped to nearly half of
> last year's rates.  My friends mostly have a lot more than 3-4 years
> experience, though.

There is some serious confusion here about what "contracting" means.

There are 2 kinds:

1099.  You are your own employee.  you pay your own benefits and all of
your taxes.  You are not employed by anyone but yourself.

W-2.  You are an employee of the contracting company (in this case Team
Excel).  Your employer (Team Excel) pays part of your taxes and may (most
do) offer benefits including health plans, 401k, vacation, etc.  Usually
these kick in after a certain number of months as an employee (about 2-3
for most places, I think).

So, your contracting friends who were amking 50-60/hr were _probably_ 1099
employees.  You can figure that's equivalent to about 75-85k/yr FTE.

But if they were making 50-60/hr as W-2 employees, that'd be more like
100-120k/year!

FWIW, I was making 70/hr as a 1099 employee in 2000 and 2001.  I could
probably could have made more (but I liked the contract gig I had at the
time) if I'd been more aggressive in looking for jobs.  I could probably
_still_ go out and make around that much for contracting.  But this is all
1099.  I definitely would not expect 70/hr as a W-2 employee of a
contracting company.  For that type of work, I'd probably ask for about
40/hour.

And finally, I've talked to the Excel folks in the past and I'm 99.9% sure
they do W-2 stuff.  Some places will also consider doing 1099 as well (in
which case you're basically subcontracting to them instead of being their
employee).

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun