[Montreal-pm] the mod_perl question and profiling web apps

Olivier Bilodeau obilodeau at inverse.ca
Mer 8 Fév 05:51:42 PST 2012

For those who attended the meetings, André sent me his config and it is
now resolved: he is using mod_perl.

But he still has a performance issue then.. So I told him to look at
Devel::NYTProf::Apache. Anyone here with experience with that?

I hope to try it soon.

Devel::NYTProf PLUG: {

For shell initiated perl, I've used Devel::NYTProf and I have to say
it's awesome! and if you've never used it, you should! Very easy to use
just call your script with `perl -d:NYTProf <script>` then run
`nytprofhtml`. Reports are all in interactive HTML with graphs, etc.
Works on daemons too.

For instance, I spotted that for a script we call often, there's a 25%
(250ms) cost just by having 'use diagnostics;' somewhere in the
dependency chain.. I didn't know diagnostics had a performance penalty...

}

Cheers!
--
Olivier Bilodeau