[Montreal-pm] the mod_perl question and profiling web apps

Christian Babeux christian.babeux at 0x80.ca
Mer 8 Fév 06:44:56 PST 2012

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:51:42 -0500, Olivier Bilodeau wrote:
> But he still has a performance issue then.. So I told him to look at
> Devel::NYTProf::Apache. Anyone here with experience with that?
>
> I hope to try it soon.
>
> Devel::NYTProf PLUG: {
>
> For shell initiated perl, I've used Devel::NYTProf and I have to say
> it's awesome! and if you've never used it, you should! Very easy to
> use
> just call your script with `perl -d:NYTProf <script>` then run
> `nytprofhtml`. Reports are all in interactive HTML with graphs, etc.
> Works on daemons too.
>
> For instance, I spotted that for a script we call often, there's a
> 25%
> (250ms) cost just by having 'use diagnostics;' somewhere in the
> dependency chain.. I didn't know diagnostics had a performance
> penalty...
>
> }
>
> Cheers!

+1 for Devel::NYTProf. This module is the most comprehensive Perl
profiler I've seen out there...

I've used it in the past to spot slow deep cloning of data structures.
15 mins later,
a quick trip to CPAN and a couple of s/Storable::dclone/Clone::clone/g,
we had improved our
data copying by ~20%.

I never used Devel::NYTProf::Apache, but I expect the same level of
awesomeness and
eye-opening moments!

Christian Babeux