[Melbourne-pm] Meeting - Wednesday the 11th of April 2012

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 18 17:56:34 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:29:09AM +1100, Alfie John wrote:
> Hey Jacinta,
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012, at 08:53 PM, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> > I will have given a talk on modern Perl stuff by the end of March.  It'll
> > be interesting, but not educational.  I can give it if you're interested.
>
> I doubt that it will not be education... I'm still skeptical on the new
> ways of doing things (I'm looking at you Moose) but I guess some day
> I'll have to bite the bullet (unfortunately I won't be able to make
> April's meeting).

My main problem with all the new ways of doing things are:

a) there are too bloody many of them

b) they seem to have a half life of a couple of years, and then
   be replaced by the new hotness.

If I wanted to spend my life chasing the latest silver bullet, I'd
be programming in Ruby already with the rest of the rockstars.

Dealing with DJabberd and the way 'use fields' was such a huge pile
of suck going to 5.10, I'm over that shit already.

Bron.