[Melbourne-pm] Perlbrew, CPAN modules, and scripts.

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Jul 5 19:55:00 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 15:12, Jacinta Richardson
<jarich at perltraining.com.au> wrote:
> On 03/07/11 21:09, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>
>> I wondered if anyone here used Perlbrew, and might be able to save me
>> having to go digging into the bowels of a whole lot of the CPAN
>> installation stack to work out why all my modules are absolutely
>> convinced they should be installing any scripts to `/usr/local/bin`
>> rather than, say, my selected Perl's bin under the Perlbrew root.
>>
>> Everything else seems to be working: modules install to the right
>> places, and everything works, except that HTML::TreeBuilder (and, I
>> think, a pile of other modules) want to use the wrong location.  (The
>> sitebin dir is right, vendorbin is empty, and the core bits are
>> right.)
>>
>> Hints?  I know that module uses Module::Build, so I wonder if it is
>> something I (or Perlbrew) am missing?
>
> I can't say *why* you're experiencing what you are, but you might find that
> using local::lib will set the environment variables you need so that things
> consistently behave.  (http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?local::lib)

Ah!  I finally found it, and the answer is that the problem lies with
the fool driving.  Turns out that Module::Build supports a
configuration file which, way back when, I had configured to install
things into /usr/local/bin.

Removing that makes stuff work the way it should, which is awesome.

Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>