[Melbourne-pm] Things to do at meetings

Alec Clews alec.clews at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 03:42:47 PDT 2010

On 16/07/10 15:47, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> I'd like to query the community to find out what things would make tech
> and social meetings better for you.
>
> 1) Social meetings
>
> We don't seem to have enough new tech talks to run a tech meeting every
> month, and I personally like the model adopted by some other PM groups,
> where they alternate between tech and social meetings every other month.
> What do you think of this?

I would suggest social very 3-4 months?

> 2) More than just talks at tech meetings
>
> Our tech talks have mostly been of the mini-lecture format (although
> there was also the Perl 5.10 bug triage session that I can think of).
>
> Are there other activities you'd like to have at them? Suggestions I can
> think of are:
>  * Have a group software project to develop.
>  * Coding-oriented games, along the lines of CoreWars, Robot Battle,
> etc. (if any such things exist for Perl?)

How about a "master" class and workshop as well.

A three month cycle would be possible. i.e. a social night, a talk night
and a practical night (projects, workshop, etc)

Also perhaps we can extend talks to include things other development
topics, with a with a Perl twist (e.g. TDD, Tools for Perl dev,
architecture setup,...) -- that will depend on volunteers.

--
Alec Clews
Personal <alec.clews at gmail.com>			Melbourne, Australia.