[Melbourne-pm] Top 100 fail debugging/testing party tomorrow night: 9th September 2009

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Sep 7 19:19:46 PDT 2009

G'day folk,

You need not have any experience in debugging, working with CPAN, using these
modules, testing in Perl or any of those kinds of things to participate in this
event.  One of the aims of this event is to help you learn these skills.

This is a reminder that tomorrow's Melbourne Perl Mongers meeting is a
debugging/testing party.  Our meeting will be kindly hosted by

	Remasys Pty Ltd
	Level 1
	172 Flinders St
	(just opposite Federation Square)
	Map: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6sa7l8

and will start at 6:30pm.  Please arrive early/on time or have a mobile phone
with you from which you can call the number on the door to be let in.

The idea is that we're going to take a few modules from the top 100 fail list
that Adam Kennedy has put together and see if we can fix any of the bugs.  The
list can be found at:

	http://ali.as/top100/  (see the FAIL 100 tab)

Click the module name to go through to the cpan distribution page and then to
the testers reports to see what kinds of tests are failing and on what version
of Perl and on what operating systems.  The bugs we are able to fix depends on
us being able to reproduce them.  :)

I suggest that we work in teams of 2-4 people so that we can share our knowledge
of testing and debugging.  If you have a particular module from that list that
you'd like to try to work on, please nominate the following:

	Module name
	Module version
	Platform
	Perl version

in a reply to the group.  If the author has a code repository it would be cool
to note that too.

At the end of the meeting we'll assess how well we did and nominate people from
each group to handle creating any patches and submitting them to RT or whatever
the author prefers.

All the best,