[Melbourne-pm] Slideshow Karaoke Group

Ben Balbo ben at benbalbo.com
Mon Jun 8 18:58:39 PDT 2009

I was talking to some fine folks last week about the phenomenon that is
slideshow karaoke and thought it would be an awesome way to foster
personal growth while having fun at the same time.

For those of you that haven't heard the phrase, slideshow karaoke is
like a cross between lightning talks and toast masters. You are given a
random, short presentation and have to present the contents to the
audience without preparation or a preview of the slides. Most of the
time you will know nothing of the subject matter and will need to think
on your feet.

Most people don't like the idea of presenting and, in my experience, the
worst part is the feeling that you'll get something wrong and look like
a fool. With slideshow karaoke, the likelihood is that you'll always be
wrong and everyone will be expecting you to get flustered and tongue tied.

So with this in mind, I want to start a slideshow karaoke group in
Melbourne. The rules are:

* all attendees have to give at least one presentation

* those with the least presentations under their belt go first

* all attendees have to critique a presentation and offer positive
  feedback and suggestions. From posture to missed opportunities for a
  good pun, nothing is off limits so long as it's positive.

* all presenters must accept feedback professionally and not be offended
  - you're here to grow and improve your presentation skills, not to
  defend your existing methods.

Anyone who is interested in joining this group is invited to join the
mailing list at http://groups.google.com/group/slideshow-karaoke-melbourne

Once there are enough members to make this group worthwhile, we'll work
out a venue and time.

Yours in palpitative anticipation,
Ben