[Melbourne-pm] thanks to all

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Sep 17 19:21:50 PDT 2008

"John Thornton" <jdthornton at ozemail.com.au> writes:

> Look, I am grateful t0 the pointers that people have given me here.
> Maybe it is a matter of teaching to some extent;

Almost certainly.

[...]

> I don't like that shebang line at all. That is ugly to me.

You presumably don't know that is a Unix convention more than 30 years
old, and nothing specific to Perl, which is why you are complaining
about it to us, right?

In a fashion similar to your issues with getting Apache running, your
ire seems to have fallen on Perl rather than the challenge of driving
third party software written in an entirely unrelated fashion.[1]

[...]

> Objectively Perl is probably a simpler language to learn than
> Java. But I am starting to get my mind around the classes of Java, its
> brackets etc, in a way that never happened with Perl.
>
> Perl seems to be a bit of an anarchic language to me - let's break the
> rules. But as a beginner I really need rules.

Sadly, I doubt you will have much joy with Java in the long term: what
you see as rules are really, truly, no more present there than in Perl.

You will still be able to fail disastrously to achieve your goals, to
spend significant effort on dramatically bad design, to pick poor
techniques, or to misunderstand the surrounding software environment.

I hope Java works out for you.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Apache is, you know, written in C and all.