[Melbourne-pm] FW: beginner at Perl trying to learn it

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Aug 19 01:19:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 06:07:50PM +1000, John Thornton wrote:
> He is no relation to me! Nobody else in my family has the remotest interest
> in computer programming or indeed computers at all!

I'm sorry, you've confused me with that. Who are you talking about?

> Here is my post again in HTML. [I am used to putting it in plain text in
> case other people cannot handle the HTML.]

I think this list will vastly prefer the plain-text version, so there's no need
to re-post the HTML version - but thanks for thinking of us.

> I am prepared to put in amount of work to learn Perl including reading books
> etc.

The "Learning Perl" book, ISBN 978-0596520106, is the classic text for such.
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Perl-5th-Tom-Phoenix/dp/0596520107/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219133821&sr=8-1

Also, locally to Melbourne http://perltraining.com.au/ run courses on Perl.

-Toby

Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
(gpg --recv-key B1CCF88E)