[Melbourne-pm] unicode html->pdf?

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Oct 23 23:18:38 PDT 2007

Guy Morton wrote:
> Hi Mathew
>
> Trouble is, I need the file on the server because I email it out from
> there.

Hmm, I thought I saw talk of a client-server implementation of the
Firefox plugin on a list somewhere.
(So you have a PC running Firefox and a special plugin and it just sits
there, loading pages and generating PDFs and sending them back somehow.)
Of course, I don't remember enough detail of whether they completed this
plugin or not.. Might be worth searching for though, or just
implementing yourself.

Or you could create an XSLT that takes HTML as it's source, and produces
PDF output - I used that previously in the method I mentioned before.
Although, I only handled very basic aspects of HTML - font manipulation,
headings, images, indentation, alignment, links, etc. but it didn't
support CSS.

However, you can hardcode the positional stuff into the XSL-FO, if
you're only using a few templates and don't want to change the layout in
HTML.

Toby