[Melbourne-pm] Geek accomodation

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Oct 9 22:43:59 PDT 2007

Toby Corkindale <tjc at wintrmute.net> writes:
> Kirrily Robert wrote:
>
>> I have a technique for finding rental accommodation that worked well
>> for me and has worked well for others I've recommended it to, often
>> extremely rapidly after a long dry spell.
> [snip]
>
> This method seems to be effective at getting an application first in
> line to be approved, as did sweet-talking agents into letting me see
> places prior to the general inspection and quickly submitting an
> application.
>
> But I've hit another stumbling block - several estate agents have said
> that while the application checked out OK, they are going to run more
> inspections until they get some more applications, and THEN select
> which one to run with.  To me, this seems like they are trying to say
> that I'm acceptable, but not their ideal, and so they're waiting to
> see if anyone better comes along..

Well, they do like to present at least two applications to the owner so
there is, like, actual choice.  In the current market they can safely
bet that they will (in most cases) get at least two applications.[1]

> (Or possibly, that someone comes along with a higher bid or bigger
> bribe.)  It seems like they're actively making work for themselves, so
> I don't understand why they are doing it, unless there's money in it.

...because it makes the owner happier, basically.

It actually makes life, on average, worse for the agent to take longer
to move the property: they make a small percentage of the price, so $50
a week is worth approximately zero to the agent -- but a second property
placed is worth a notable amount.

> .. I'm wondering if this is a hint I should go back and offer more
> money. Or re-submit my application with a handful of fifties stapled
> to it.

Well, it mostly can't hurt -- though agents don't like to be reminded
that people will, more or less, bribe the owner to take them in direct
terms.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...though I am surprised they didn't get that on day one. ;)

--
Daniel Pittman <daniel at cybersource.com.au>           Phone: 03 9621 2377
Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne             Web: http://www.cyber.com.au