[Melbourne-pm] NEW VENUE! Meeting next week 14th November

Stephen Edmonds Stephen.Edmonds at its.monash.edu.au
Tue Nov 13 14:45:14 PST 2007

I'm confused about where the new venue is.

The Google link Jacinta provided indicates that it is halfway between
North Richmond station and the Yarra.  But the Melways says that 678 is
at the Yarra, next to Victoria Gardens (the Ikea).

This could be surprising for anyone who chose to walk from the station
as it would be 2km instead of 600m.

Thanks,

Stephen

Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> Next week's meeting will be at a new venue!  Thanks go to Editure for hosting
> our meetings for so many years, without their assistance we would not have been
> successful as we are!  And thanks too to REA for hosting this coming meeting.
> Our meeting will be at:
>
> 	6:30pm, Wednesday 14th November 2007
>
> 	Realestate.com.au
> 	678 Victoria Street
> 	Richmond
>
> You can find a map here:  http://preview.tinyurl.com/355zl5  You can catch an
> Epping or Hurstbridge train (non-express) to North Richmond and walk about 600m,
> or catch a 109 Mont Albert tram along Victoria Street.
>
> Meeting talks:
>
> Not common enough optimisations - Jacinta Richardson
>
> We're all warned against premature code optimisation, and that's fair.
> Optimising too early can make the code more complex and hard to maintain without
> any evidence as to whether it actually makes it faster. A lot of the time it
> really is better just to write the code and worry about optimisation when/if
> speed becomes an issue.
>
> On the other hand all programmers ought to understand the concepts behind Big-O
> notation and algorithmic complexity. Applying these concepts to your code can
> actually help make it both more simple and faster at the same time. It may mean
> not going with the first solution you think of, but once you've got the concepts
> worked out, making these simple changes to your coding style will allow you to
> reap huge benefits.
>

> If you'd like to give a talk too, please speak up!  Bring along anyone who you
> think would enjoy the meeting.
>
> All the best,
>
> 	Jacinta

Stephen Edmonds
Senior Portal Developer / Integrator
Flexible Learning and Teaching Program
Information Technology Services, Monash University