[Melbourne-pm] NEW VENUE! Meeting next week 14th November

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Thu Nov 8 14:33:17 PST 2007

G'day everyone,

Next week's meeting will be at a new venue!  Thanks go to Editure for hosting
our meetings for so many years, without their assistance we would not have been
successful as we are!  And thanks too to REA for hosting this coming meeting.
Our meeting will be at:

	6:30pm, Wednesday 14th November 2007

	Realestate.com.au
	678 Victoria Street
	Richmond

You can find a map here:  http://preview.tinyurl.com/355zl5  You can catch an
Epping or Hurstbridge train (non-express) to North Richmond and walk about 600m,
or catch a 109 Mont Albert tram along Victoria Street.

Meeting talks:

Not common enough optimisations - Jacinta Richardson

We're all warned against premature code optimisation, and that's fair.
Optimising too early can make the code more complex and hard to maintain without
any evidence as to whether it actually makes it faster. A lot of the time it
really is better just to write the code and worry about optimisation when/if
speed becomes an issue.

On the other hand all programmers ought to understand the concepts behind Big-O
notation and algorithmic complexity. Applying these concepts to your code can
actually help make it both more simple and faster at the same time. It may mean
not going with the first solution you think of, but once you've got the concepts
worked out, making these simple changes to your coding style will allow you to
reap huge benefits.

If you'd like to give a talk too, please speak up!  Bring along anyone who you
think would enjoy the meeting.

All the best,

	Jacinta