[Melbourne-pm] RFC: Perl jobs mailing list guidelines and submission form

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Aug 7 07:17:45 PDT 2007

Hi Jacinta,

A couple of thoughts...

"Job basics" focusses on programming tasks and doesn't mention such
things as documentation, testing, customer liaison, team leadership,
project management, etc.  Those are the activities I most want to know
about when looking at a job description; is it a straight dev job or
are there other responsibilities?

"Development process" as a radio button selection seems limited.  Many
places use a hybrid, or vary depending on project, or whatever.
Perhaps provide a textarea with descriptive text linking to some of
the examples given on the list?

You mention "office politics" in the work environment section.  I'd
rephrase; I don't think people will take that question seriously as
is.  Perhaps add another positive option to the list?  The text in the
guidelines page seems more positive in flavour, so perhaps use some of
that?

"Company size" conflates three questions: actual size (one choice from
a list), whether the company is publicly listed (boolean), and whether
the company is multi-national (boolean).  Perhaps you should make the
last two items independent checkboxes?  (If a company's publicly
listed, I like to check the stock price history and google around for
financially-oriented articles about the company, to see whether the
world in general thinks they're onto a good thing or not.)
And what about team size?  Being the sole IT person is very different
from working in a large team.

You don't mention travel/telecommute; I know jobs.perl.org does.
Perhaps you could add them?  Would you accept job ads for
international (non-AU/NZ) companies that are looking for
telecommuters?  What about international companies that would
particularly like to recruit Australians and will facilitate
visas/relocation?  I think those would both be worth hearing about,
but I'd want them to be up-front about what's going on.

That'll do for now ;)

K.

--
Kirrily Robert