[Melbourne-pm] OSDClub meeting - 6th April 2006

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Mar 27 19:02:43 PST 2006

We invite you to join us for the next OSDClub meeting:

	When:    6:30pm, Thursday 6th April, 2005
	Where:   Room 56-5-88, RMIT Building 56
		 Corner of Queensbury & Lygon streets.

	More details: http://www.osdc.com.au/osdclub/

Our featured talks will be:

	Copylefting the DMCA: DRM and the version 3 of the GPL
	This talk examines the DRM-related clauses that have been proposed for
	inclusion in version 3 of the GNU General Public License. It considers
	the effects of the language in the FSF's first draft, as well as the
	directions in which that language might move for the final version. I
	then analyse the effects that a strengthened GPL could conceivably have
	on the development of DRM systems, and the strategic considerations
	involved for the Free Software Foundation, the broader open source
	software community, DRM developers, major copyright holders, and even
	governments.

	(more: http://www.osdc.com.au/osdclub/200604/copylefting.html)

	Doing cool things with open source javascript libraries
	This talk is an introduction to some of the cross-browser javascript
	libraries out there that make it easier to make interactive and dynamic
	web pages. We'll have a look at the various helper functions for dealing
	with the DOM, objects, arrays and the things you commonly want to do.
	We'll look at some of the standard objects available such as calendars,
	tree-view lists and sliders. We'll also have a look at the Event
	handling and Ajax functions provided.

	The libraries covered will be: prototype, scriptaculous and yahoo's YUI.

Talk Proposals

We invite you to offer talk proposals for future meetings.  To be involved, send
your talk topic to clubadmin at osdc.com.au  Presentations can make use of a
particular programming language to illustrate examples, but should be accessible
to programmers from a range of backgrounds.