[Melbourne-pm] CPAN module

Mathew Robertson mathew.robertson at netratings.com.au
Wed Mar 8 20:04:20 PST 2006

>> hmm... I was hoping there was something more akin to a 'developer tree'
>> which would allow updates to a package, but not  be part of an
>> "official" package.
>
> Not entirely sure what you mean here?
>
> Probably something to remember is that CPAN is a snapshot - not a
> development site. ie: it is not Sourceforge but rather just a mirror
> and packaging system of static objects - a snapshot.
Understood - see my other email on how to install a developer-specific
version of a module.

> Either way though I am not sure what you mean by a "developer tree"
> and not "official"
>
> Of course you could do something along the lines of: a module which
> patches the other module - maybe.
interesting thought.... this just might work.  I could build a package
called say "Bundle::HTML::Template::Extended", which depended on H::T,
plus say H::T::Extended, then Build.pm would effectively 'patch' the
production H::T with the overridden Perl modules.

> Not something I have seen before but it could be done.
>
> Scooter
thanks for the idea,
Mathew