[Melbourne-pm] CPAN module

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Wed Mar 8 17:03:30 PST 2006

On 09/03/2006, at 10:13, Mathew Robertson wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I use a CPAN module called HTML::Template, which is used as a web-page
> templating engine (in a similar vein to Template-Toolkit).
>
> I have made some changes to increase its functionality - which amounts
> to about 20% of the code (ie: not a small patch).  I have suggested
> that
> some of these changes be added to the real module, but the developer
> isn't interested.
>
> Since I dont really want to do a complete fork of the code, as the
> existing community is quite lively...  The question is, is there a way
> to release a modified version into CPAN?

No not really, and that would not be fair either - you can't have two
bosses of one bit of code.

But you have already touched on the answer - fork it and release as a
new module.

eg:

	HTML::TemplateX

Or maybe

	HTML::Template::Extended

Once you do that - and that is fair and safe - you can then encourage
the use of your changes. If the changes are good and acceptable, then
people will use that module instead - eventually it will become the
standard, and probably even get incorporated or replace the old one.

This is not unprecedented - quite common actually :-)

* - *  http://www.osdc.com.au - Open Source Developers Conference * - *
Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

Microsoft is not the answer. It's the question. And the answer is no.