YAPC::AU::Bruce.pm

Stas Bekman stas at stason.org
Thu Jan 22 18:29:51 CST 2004

leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au wrote:
> I also like the idea, but perhaps we need to use a peer vote rather than
> judge it.
>
> Here's an example, and I am NOT casting aspertions on Stas at all, I
> know he is an upstanding man.
>
> Say that Stas enters the hacking competition, and fixes a zillion
> mod_perl related bugs, and writes test cases for all of them for
> regression purposes. He has met the requirements of contribution and
> improvement, but his special knowledge gives him an unfair advantage, as
> it would anyone who use's/extends a particular module all the time.
>
> So a peer vote would possibly reconcile various advantages/disadvantages
> - those recognised by there peers as having 'achieved and contributed'
> the most.

It won't be an issue if we agree that the prize (if it is monetary) will go
the perl foundation ;). But I guess it't not the best incentive then.

The idea is to come up with a scheme that will make everybody want to compete
(and contribute) because of <fill in> and not because of the material prize.

mailto:stas at stason.org http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com