Tonight's talks

Tim Hunt tim.hunt at its.monash.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 21:12:13 CDT 2004

On the other hand, if the PerlMongers can get through everything in an
hour, everyone could go to the OzZope meeting :

>> OzZope Melbourne Meeting 14th April, 2004 - 7.30pm
>>
>> Melbourne Meetings are now held quarterly
>>
>> Tomorrow's meeting will be chaired by Richard Volpato
>>
>> Address:
>> Edwin Burge Building, Trinity College, Melbourne University MAP
>> <http://ozzope.org/Members/curphey/articles/trinity.htm>
>>
>> 1. DOCUMENTATION:
>> Melanie Kendall will talk about getting the right content into content
>> management systems. A no nonsense look at the world of technical
>> documentation/communicators.
>>
>> 2. KUPU:
>> A demonstration and hands on look at Kupu the wysiwyg editor in Zope's
>> XML Publication system, Silva -by Jan Smith
>> Kupu is a client-side JavaScript What You See Is What You Get
>> (WYSIWYG)
>> editor. It works in both Mozilla and Internet Explorer based browsers
>> (including Netscape 7) and produces well-formed XHTML. Kupu is object
>> oriented and designed to be customizable and extendable.
>> Kupu's features:
>> * Easy to integrate - Kupu can be easily integrated into a variety of
>> CMS. Currently there is integration code for Zope 2, Silva, Plone and
>> Apache Lenya.  There are plans for integrating Kupu into MMBase,
>> Interchange and more in the near future.
>> * Easy to customize and extend - Kupu can be customized and extended
>> in
>> several ways. For simple modifications much of the configuration can
>> be
>> set as attributes on the editor iframe, while buttons, tools and
>> layout
>> can be changed via the CSS. For larger customizations there's a simple
>> JavaScript plugin API, and also the core has a clean and solid
>> architecture to allow full extensibility.
>> * Kupu uses CSS in favor of HTML for layout and presentation. It
>> supports asynchronous saving to the server. It sets event handlers
>> from
>> code instead of from the HTML (excepting the toolbar), which makes the
>> code a lot cleaner. It uses DOM functionality to build up HTML.
(No, I don't really expect people to make it ! Just a conflict I have
to resolve - plus family duty...)

--
  Tim Hunt, Senior Portal Developer
  Flexible Learning and Teaching Program, ITS