Web Site Update and July Talks

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Jun 13 22:32:05 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 14, 2002, at 01:12 , Jeremy Howard wrote:

> Nathan Bailey wrote:
>
>> We use wvHTML to convert Word documents (and Spreadsheet::ParseExcel
>> for Excel).  It works reasonably well if you just want to get at the
>> document (i.e. not if you want to print it with all the formatting,
>> etc.)
>>
> How do you convert Excel documents to HTML with
> Spreadsheet::ParseExcel? Scott showed an example that used DBD::Excel,
> which works well but only for named list data, not general formats.
> Have you looked at this:?
>
> http://chicago.sourceforge.net/xlhtml/

There is a bit of software that comes as a demo with
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel called 'herbert'. Look in the bin directory.

It does a nice job of handling almost any format of sheet, but I found
it created too much html to try and cope with every formatting issue.

Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).