[mnw.pm] Perl Mongers booth staffing

Adam Turoff ziggy at panix.com
Sat Jul 8 17:21:18 CDT 2000

I hope we can put the whole "booth babe" debate behind us and return
to our regularly scheduled advocacy of all things perl.

Yes, Mistakes Were Made (tm).  Yes, a lot of people were insulted
on a handful of counts.  Yes, some valid concerns were raised that
will be addressed at future booths.

I don't think these mailing lists were created to promote harmony
between the sexes.  I do think all of us who are guilty of spreading
disharmony want to fix our errors and move on to the task at hand.

I thank everyone who has highlighted these concerns.

Here's a tidbit I received from brian about the issues at yapc:

> i didn't hire Amelia based on her ability to attract people to her.  i
> hired her because she has excellent people skills (the priority), a
> temperate stage personality, and can do the work without much help from
> me. she did an excellent job on all counts, and even in the complaints
> people have said so.
>
> [...] i made a mistake and it's my fault. tell people as much if they ask
> about it.  that's the official line - "brian messed up but he won't do
> that again". however, Amelia will be at TPC and YAPC::Europe.  we'll work
> out the bugs as we go along. :)
>
> --
> brian d foy                              <brian at smithrenaud.com>
> Director of Technology, Smith Renaud, Inc.
> 875 Avenue of the Americas, 2510, New York, NY  10001
> 	V: (212) 239-8985

I'm confident that the mistakes made at yapc won't be repeated.

Following pudge's lead, I've said everything I want to say and
now bow out of the discussion.

Z.