[LA.pm] Next LA.pm: Wed July 28, 2010

Andrew Grangaard agrangaard at rubiconproject.com
Fri Jul 23 08:02:21 PDT 2010

Dearest Mongers,

I'm looking forward to another lovely PM meeting this coming Wednesday,
July 28th.  Topics and speakers TBD (Aran Deltac has one slot, the other
is waiting for [% you %].)

What:  Perl Mongers
Date:  Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Time:  7-9pm
Where: Rubicon Project HQ - 1925 S. Bundy, LA, CA  90025
url:   http://la.pm.org

Website: not yet updated with this information, so you heard it here
first.  That'll be updated this weekend and I'll send out a follow-up email.

Our June meeting was small but energetic, affected on both counts by
being the week after YAPC.  We had a live code-fix session hosted by
Andrew Grangaard working on a freshly broken CPAN module: Dist::Zilla.
This demonstrated many of the fine points of the CPAN community --
engaged users, integrated ticket tracking, engaged authors, source code
browsing, cooperative spirit.  Tags: git, dist::zilla, cpan, rt, XP.

Dist::Zilla had a minor error affecting new users that was pushed out
that morning.  Live-on-stage, we cloned the git repo; found, analyzed
and fixed the issue; created a rt.cpan.org ticket; mailed in a patch and
updated the ticket.  We also had to monkeypatch the version on my
system, since dist::zilla uses dist::zilla to install.  The module
author (RJBS) replied and enthusiastically accepted our work and pushed
out a new revision the next morning, crediting la.pm in the release notes.

Come be part of the excitement this month!

--Andrew

--
Andrew Grangaard
Senior Software Engineeer / Rubicon Project / www.rubiconproject.com