[LA.pm] Perl jobs for furriners in the LA area

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Thu May 7 11:49:17 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I signed up to LA.pm on the chance there'd be a meeting the last
> three times I've been out, but ended up being too busy to even
> organise an emergency meet.
>
> Anyhow.
>
> I was wondering what the state of the perl jobs market in LA was
> like these days? It's on my medium-term TODO list to spend a year
> or several in LA, more specifically near the coast. There were a few
> companies out that way that seemed to be hiring like Oversee. Sadly
> the one I cam closest to, Shopzilla, appears to have moved away
> from perl totally now.
>
> Thoughts?

I was just on said job market and found something.  No job market is
in good shape at the moment, but there are a number of companies that
would like to hire solid developers.  Particularly some of the smaller
ones - Los Angeles has a lot of Perl based startups.  In general jobs
go first to good people who are well connected.

If you are good and are looking to become connected quickly, go to a
good networking event like startup weekend.  This will give you a
bunch of connections to start with.  I would schedule it so that you
fly in and do that before you decide whether to move.  That will give
you more of a direct sense of what is available, and will give you
those initial contacts that make finding a job much easier.

Unfortunately the demands of my life and family keep me from doing a
lot of those events.  However I have a friend named Eric Hammond who
is on top of that.  Hopefully he'll respond to this thread and you'll
have a connection.

Cheers,
Ben