[LA.pm] Is Perl alive in Los Angeles?

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Wed May 6 21:38:09 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Jordan Coleman <jordan at jordancoleman.com> wrote:
> So, is LosAngeles.pm alive?  Just moved to the area from New York, having
> been a member of NY.pm for something like a decade.  I'm hoping to meet some
> folks from the local Perl community.

Your title and first paragraph have different answers.  Perl, the
language, is alive and well.  LA.pm has not been very active in the
last year.  But judging by past experience, if anyone steps up and
arranges a meeting, lots of people show.

> Briefest of intros:  I design custom embedded and control systems for the
> experiential entertainment industry (theme parks, cruise ships, museums,
> etc.).  Perl is my primary thinking language and, in fact, ends up being the
> main workhorse of many of my clients' projects.  Among my claims to fame,
> I've used Perl inside numerous embedded (diskless, headless, fanless)
> devices that I've built for my clients over the years, including a custom
> 802.11 transciever bolted to the antenna mast of a 148-foot private yacht.

That sounds fun.  Most of the Perl people I know, including myself,
are in the web space.

Cheers,
Ben