[LA.pm] New Members: Introduce Yourself!

Sean O'Donnell sodonnell at childrensoncologygroup.org
Tue Mar 6 11:58:02 PST 2007

# name:

Sean O'Donnell

(not Dick Cheney's Doctor, nor the Hockey Player!) =p

# experience level with perl:

Informal/Continuous-Learning (I still consider myself 'novice' in perl
compared to most)

For the last 2 years, I've been using PERL (among other things) to try
to find a cure for Childhood Cancer, focusing on Biomedical Research
Application Development for CureSearch, Children's Oncology Group (COG),
and the National Childhood Cancer Foundation (NCCF).

I've also been using PERL and PHP for Web Application Development and
Server Administration since around 1999. I mostly use PHP for Web
Interfaces, and PERL for command-line applications.

The 'legacy' system that I'm currently 'maintaining' here at CureSearch
is based upon Linux, Apache, PERL/PHP, and Oracle. It was originally
developed by staff (as well as bioinformatics students) at the
University of Florida's Pediatric Oncology Group (POG), back in 2000.

The application itself is considered 'legacy' around here, as they are
mostly a .NET shop and (due to the complexity of the system, and the
lack of understanding of Open Source Software or related technologies)
have reinvented the wheels in ways in which I cannot even begin to
express my dismay, but I steer-clear of the politics (that all occurred
long before I was here) and just try to find new and interesting ways to
bridge the gaps between the 2 systems. Using things such as mod_perl,
XML, and SOAP have proven effective for such cross-platform
requirements.

# What you hope to get from this group?

Pure Sympathy, or perhaps a reminder that I am not the only person in
the world who uses PERL (around here you would think that's the case).

I'm just lurking really, as I normally don't have enough time during the
week to attend SIG/LUG/PM meetings (outside of the SGV), but I do try to
participate in IRC and Mailing-List discussions.

Overall, it's nice to know that there is a (local) community of users
who share such interests, time, and knowledge with each other in an open
manor.

Thanks,

Sean O'Donnell
Programmer Analyst