[LA.pm] (job postings) Shopzilla, US-CA-West Los Angeles

David Pisoni dpisoni at shopzilla.com
Thu Mar 23 08:19:55 PST 2006

Hello,

Robert has once again benevolently granted me permission to post my
open positions to the list.

Shopzilla (known to many of you as BizRate.com) <http://
www.shopzilla.com> is hiring several different positions that require
perl skills. I am the Director of Site Infrastructure (read, I am not
a recruiter nor a PHB.)  I and the other hiring managers are looking
for sharp perl engineers and architects to help us produce quality,
cutting-edge web applications.

I'll include the boilerplate from our postings once, and break out
the open position levels' requirements/descriptions separately.  Note
that some of these postings have multiple openings with the same
qualifications.

Please email me at dpisoni at shopzilla dot com if you are interested
or have questions.

Enjoy,

David Pisoni
dpisoni at shopzilla dot com
Director, Site Infrastructure
Shopzilla, Inc. <http://www.shopzilla.com/>

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
-Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

---------------

Boilerplate:
Shopzilla, formerly BizRate.com, is a leading shopping search engine
on the Web. With an index of over 30 million products from more than
50,000 stores, gathered, organized and presented using all
proprietary leading-edge technology, Shopzilla provides consumers the
best way to find virtually anything for sale, anywhere, and at the
best price. In addition to our flagship site (http://
www.shopzilla.com), Shopzilla also powers shopping search for many of
the Web's largest consumer sites including AOL, Lycos, Time Warner's
RoadRunner, and many others.

At Shopzilla, our goal is to build the greatest shopping service ever
conceived by mankind. To that end, we strive very hard to hire the
smartest people. We're an environment where great ideas shape our
vision and true passion drives us to the best solutions to the most
challenging problems at the intersection of shopping and search.

If that sounds like something you'd like to be involved in, please
read on.
Shopzilla offers great benefits including medical, dental and vision
plans, life insurance, 401(k) plan, flexible spending account,
generous vacation benefits -- and we even provide FREE catered lunch
every single day!

So, if you are the super-star type -- the one all look to as the
smartest in your area of expertise -- love challenging yourself, and
are searching for a place to work where people care, your ideas
matter and you can make a real difference to helping millions of
consumers, then we need to talk.

Shopzilla is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Job listings:
(of course, I list my own first!)
Sr. Software Engineer/Architect, Site Infrastructure
As our Sr. Software Engineer / Architect, you will:

• Develop core technology, including the design/architecture of new
solutions and the refactoring and refinement of existing systems
• Serve as key architect for many key classes, protocols, and APIs
(current and future) used throughout the organization. Assist others
in using those APIs by writing documentation or working with
technical writer.
• Collaborate in design of framework for distributed, services-based
web application
• Participate with Site Infrastructure management in steering future
direction of Site Infrastructure projects and platform  design.

Your qualifications include:

Required skills:

• 6+ years of experience in software engineering, OOD/OOA/OOP
• Ability to formally communicate architectural designs and plans
• Domain experience in n-tier web application development; working
experience with web and networking protocols and concepts. Emphasis
on system scalability a plus.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience working with others, both developers and project/
business owners during the analysis, design, and execution phases of
an engineering project is required.
• Extensive experience integrating open source technologies in
application development

Desired skills:

• Perl/mod_perl, c/c++, Java
• Apache, HTML, and UNIX skills
• XML, Web Services, Services-Oriented Architecture (SOA)
• Semantic Web, RDF
• RDBMS: Sybase ASE, Sybase IQ, knowledge of SQL
• Subversion VCS

  Sr. Software Engineer/Architect, Consumer Site Web Engineering

Are you tired of pouring yourself into projects that never see the
light of day?
Are you constantly frustrated by being forced to compromise in the
name of expediency?

Shopzilla went from 140 employees and $67MM in revenue in 2004 to
over 230 employees and $154MM in revenue in 2005 by putting the
smartest minds together to create the world’s greatest comparison
shopping site.

If you are an experienced, creative engineer who takes joy in the
design and development of elegant solutions, then read on.

As Senior Software Engineer you will:
·    Share responsibility and ownership of the Shopzilla.com website

·    Work closely with R&D and business analytics teams

·    Dream up and design new products and functionality

·     foreach(@day){next if /^(sat|sun)/i;goto WORK; write CODE; goto
BAR if /^(th|fr)/i; sleep;}

·    Write code used by millions of people per day

·    Not compromise on quality

·    Work closely with other brilliant engineers on a daily basis

·    Develop core technology, including the design/architecture of
new solutions and the refactoring and refinement of existing systems

·    Mentor junior members of the team

·    Serve as key architect for many key classes, protocols, and APIs

·    Help shape the future of online shopping

Required Skills:
·    Perl/mod_perl

·    RDBMS fundamentals

·    Proficient in Object Oriented design and development

·    Ability to formally communicate architectural designs and plans

·    Experience working with developers and project/business owners

·    Experience integrating open source technologies in application
development

Desired skills:
·      Test-driven development

·      Fundamentals in design patterns

·      Participation in Agile development environment

·      Template Toolkit experience

·      BS in Computer Science or comparable experience

·    Domain experience in n-tier web application development

·    Working experience with web and networking protocols and concepts

Sr. Software Engineer, Business Intelligence
As our Sr. Software Developer, you will:
Design, implement, and evolve back-end data layer for business-to-
business web site
Design and implement scheduled offline processes to manage merchant
accounts, update billing, send invoices, change bidding status,
migrate data, and produce reports.
Lead development of merchant services database applications
Your qualifications include:
5+ years SQL, Stored procedure programming or PL/SQL
3+ years of data modeling experience
5+ years perl or java or C++ programming experience in a production
environment
3+ years unix shell programming experience in a production environment
Proficiency in a Unix environment, specifically Linux
Experience in development of high-capacity data processing applications
Experience as a team lead working with other developers
Solid object oriented software design and debugging skills
Enjoys problem solving in fast paced environment
Strongly self-motivated, fast-learner and committed to the successful
completion of projects
Excellent oral and written communication skills
B.S. Computer Science or equivalent
Additional (desired) skills:
Sybase experience a +
Sybase IQ experience a +
Oracle experience a +
M.S. Computer Science a +
Ecommerce system development a +
  Sr. Software Engineer, Research
As our Sr. Software Engineer you will:

Responsibilities/Job Description:

•            Develop core technology, including the design/
architecture of new solutions, the refinement of existing systems.
•            Collaborate with product management to produce
functional specifications, including feasibility assessments,
engineering time estimates, and strategic value assessments
•            Write design specifications, programming specifications,
and documentation
•            Develop and maintain dynamic web applications currently
written in Object Oriented Perl, operating on a Linux/Apache/mod_perl
platform.
•            Develop systems and APIs for interfacing with open and
proprietary network services, complex business systems, and trading
partners.
•            Be responsible for one or more key subsystems of our
business web applications.

Your qualifications include:

•            BS in Computer Science or equivalent required, MS or PhD
preferred
•            6+ years of experience in object oriented software
engineering, ideally in a leading internet company
•            4+ years of Perl Development
•            experience with mod_perl, Apache, XML, HTML, database
and Unix in a high volume environment
•            Strong object oriented software architecture skills (UML
a plus)
•            Experience with Web services architectures a plus
•            Experience with Java or other OO languages a plus
•            Experience working with product managers, project
manager, producers, and other developers during the analysis, design,
and execution phases of an engineering project
•            Experience with source control systems like CVS or
Subversion
•            Ability to learn and contribute quickly and work
independently
•            Strong written and verbal communications skills
•            Strong interest in all aspects of the development of
dynamic and distributed Web based applications, including gathering
requirements and feedback from internal customers, providing creative
direction, and defining and implementing advanced technical solutions.